Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving!



As I was doing my errands the other day it became clear; the holiday season is upon us. There are displays for Thanksgiving all around as well as Christmas decorations. Yes, it does seem like they bounce from one holiday to another since Halloween just ended, but for the most part I love the holidays and its a pretty big deal in my family. I must say my favorite time is around Christmas, but Thanksgiving is special to me as well. Mostly because we host about 40-some people at our house. My father being one of eight children is the reason behind that one. This dinner in particular is just his side but my mom comes from a small family that we are sure to spend Christmas with.  Needless to say, she had quite a shock back when it was "meet the family" time in my parents relationship. The numbers have grown over the years but for as long as I can remember we have had thanksgiving at our place. Now that I am older and into cooking, my mother and I are a "team" on thanksgiving; and a good one at that. Despite some differences of opinion we have in the kitchen, this is a time where we come together and cook for two days (if you include prep work). Of course, overall planning goes way beyond that, but in the end it is worth it. Our family helps us by bringing some sides, rolls, extra napkins and other necessities a good Thanksgiving dinner (and dessert) needs. I'm not going to lie, it is stressful, but I cherish the many years of this holiday at our house.

Thanksgiving here is probably not one to be considered traditional. There is no sitting around a single table with everyone engaging in the same conversation. My dad cuts the turkey's, we say a prayer, walk around the table to collect our meal, and find a seat somewhere. Its loud, fun, and we all feel a sense of togetherness.  Our Thanksgiving get together's have included everything from a pilgrim play when we were kids to after dinner karaoke and dance. It obviously brings back and creates new memories. By the next day, the Christmas season has officially begun for our family and aside from any frigid weather that comes with it, it's one of my favorite times of year. And yes, I am aware that Maryland winters would not be considered "frigid" to some, but for someone who is easily chilled, I do not approve of it becoming below 25 at any point. Still, bring on the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment