Saturday, November 24, 2012

"After Thanksgiving" Turkey Soup

Like it or not, leftovers are a part of Thanksgiving. I don't know about you but we are always left with veggies, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and of course, turkey. Unfortunately, not all of it gets eaten up but we try to make use of what we can.

Around this time you will probably see a lot of recipes floating around the internet that uses up those extra Thanksgiving favorites. Some are a classic, while others clearly took some creativity to come up with. As I have mentioned in past post's, one of my favorite ways is to simmer up some soup with leftover turkey, carrots, and other vegetables. I like to add barley too.

Now most of the time this would be where I'd post a recipe bit in this case, there really isn't one! Why? It depends on what and how much you have on hand from thanksgiving. Bring out the creative cook in you. Just don't get TOO creative; leave it to the ingredients that would actually work in a soup. Although who knows what you may find on the internet, I don't recommend stirring a scoop of cranberry sauce or stuffing in there but I'm thinking that probably wasn't something you'd consider anyway. :)

This is what went in the family dinner for tonight:

  • Chopped fresh celery from whats left of the vegetable platter
  • Fresh onion
  • Carrots (chopped)-these were already cooked with olive oil, rosemary, and a touch of honey so I did not add these until I sauteed the crisp veggies. That way they would not be at different points in the cooking process.
  • Low-sodium chicken broth
  • Herbs (Italian seasoning, bay leaf) , pinch of sea salt, garlic powder
  • Leftover shredded turkey
  • Barley
  • Still may add in some cooked cut green beans but I am not so sure. Its my mothers suggestion so why not..
Given the weather, its actually a great night for something to be simmering on the stove or slow cooker. Cold weather is expected in the winter and I have accepted that but the wind is what I am referring to. Not crazy wind or anything but it certainly adds an extra chill to the air. 

Of course, if you have peas or some potatoes you would like to add in there go for it. Again, this is a way of making use of Thanksgiving leftovers so try to incorporate what you have on hand. Hence why I did not post a true recipe for it. 

If you have any post-Thanksgiving favorites in your family please comment and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment