Friday, April 5, 2013

Tropical BBQ Pork Chops (or chicken)

Ok so I take back what I said in my last post as far as the weather. A taste of Spring was all we got for a day or two then it went back to 26 degrees yesterday at 6:30 in the morning. Its a lot better today, but I still don't think I will be bringing out my flip flops or anything. Not until it reaches high 70's or (even better) 80's will I be content. Actually, being a person that gets cold easier I have no problem with it being in the low 90's but I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me on that one.

Luckily, cold weather doesn't mean I can't get a taste of grilled chicken or grill a few pork chops for the family. I like to use a heavy-bottomed, good-quality, grill pan when the outdoor one is not a desirable option. Also, as I have mentioned before, the big grill in the back is my dad's and therefore I do not use it much. I will prepare the food before cooking, but the grill is the one thing my dad can call "his" when it comes to cooking and such. So if it's something for just myself or my dad is not available to fire up the outdoor grill, I bring out my grill pan. Though I use chicken breast if I am cooking this for myself, the picture below is of pork chops. The spices and sauce work great on either so use whatever you are in the mood for. You can vary the kind of juice you use and the variety of BBQ sauce. I have used both pineapple and peach mango juices with good results. This time around, I used pineapple with honey BBQ sauce.



Tropical BBQ Pork or Chicken
Serves: 6

Spice Rub:

2 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Dried thyme
1 tsp Ground allspice
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
Cayenne pepper to taste if you'd like it spicy


Sauce:

3/4 Cup BBQ sauce
1/3 Cup pineapple, mango, or passion fruit juice (peach mango works well also)


1 TBSP Canola oil
6 Medium pork chops or boneless, skinless, chicken breasts





Preheat your grill or heavy bottomed grill pan to medium-high heat. If needed, pound your pork or chicken with a meat mallet to make uniform in size. This does not take a lot of force so don't over do it.

In a small saucepan, stir together the BBQ sauce and juice. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat, and let cook until slightly thickened. You don't have to reduce it but remember that the juice will give the BBQ sauce a thinner consistency.

Preheat your grill or heavy-bottomed grill pan to medium high.

In a small dish, combine all ingredients for the spice mixture. Gently rub over your pork chops or chicken and brush with oil. Place on grill, and cook until meat is done in the middle, turning once and basing with sauce during last few minutes of cooking. If you chose pork chops, you need to cook it to at least 145 degrees while chicken needs to be 165 degrees (internal temperature). For pork, 145 is the minimum temperature as determined by the USDA but that will leave it slightly pink in the middle. Though I do not eat pork, my family seems to prefer it when I cook pork to about 150 degrees and let it rest. No pink but still juicy and flavorful. Check this out for more info if you are interested Safe Cooking Temperatures . Remember chicken must always be cooked to 165 degrees; there is no "range" for it.

Serve with your warm tropical BBQ sauce.








No comments:

Post a Comment