Friday, April 19, 2013

"Banana Split" Granola

Wow. It has been a little while since my last post. Sorry, just a lot going on in life outside of this blog and I got a bit distracted. But I am back for now with a new recipe for ya.

As I have mentioned, I enjoy making my own granola and frequently bake up a batch for my dad as well. Whats fun is that there are so many combinations you can put together for a granola to make it your own. Bananas happen to be one of the few fruits I do not care for but given that my dad likes them, I thought I'd get creative with banana chips. Though my first thought was a tropical mix, I did not have many of the ingredients so that will have to make its way on here at another time. What I did have was chocolate chips, freeze dried strawberry's (yummy in oatmeal), and dried cherries. I'd say that sounds like a banana split!

I got the freeze dried strawberries and banana chips at Target if you are having trouble looking for them.




Banana Split Granola

4 Cups old fashion oats
1/2 Cup wheat bran
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1/4 Cup water
1/2 Cup honey
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP canola oil
2 tsp Vanilla
1 Cup banana chips (dried banana slices)
2/3 Cup freeze dried strawberries
1/2 Cup semisweet chocolate chips (you can use half white chocolate chips or butterscotch if you'd like)
1/2 Cup dried cherries

In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat bran, cinnamon, and salt.

In a small saucepan, add the water, honey, brown sugar, canola oil, and vanilla. Place over medium heat, and whisk just until all is combined. The honey and brown sugar should be dissolved and blended. Give it a final whisk and pour over the oat mixture. Stir until well combined, (it helps to used a clean or gloved hand to do this).

Spread in an even layer onto two nonstick sheet pans. Bake at 275 degrees for about 50 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 15 minutes and swapping oven racks if necessary for even cooking. Let cool completely before stirring in the banana chips, freeze dried strawberries, chocolate chips (must be cool before adding as you don't want them to melt), and dried cherries. Store in an airtight container.

*If desired, you can also add nuts of your choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment