Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Moms Favorite Pretzels

When I made these for the first time and my mom tried one, her eyes lit up. Among the many things I make in this house, this simple recipe is one of her favorites. Sure, she loves my homemade lasagna and such, but this is what she craves when it comes to a mid day snack or lunch accompaniment. According to those who have  eaten them, these homemade pretzels taste just like, or better then, the ones you can get fresh at the mall. That is something you can decide for yourself after you make a batch.

Though I do have the recipe down, I will admit I am not the greatest at forming pretzels. I can be a bit of a perfectionist (ok, perhaps OCD) when it comes to my cooking if I let myself be, so sometimes I just avoid the hassle and make pretzel twists. Most people do not care as they obviously taste the same, but for some reason it drives me crazy if they are not shaped how I think they should. Pretzel bites would also be a neat idea for kids or parties but I myself have not formed them that way.

I know the last part of the recipe may seem odd but the baking soda and water is an important aspect of this recipe. I will be honest and say that I am not sure of the science behind it or why, but dipping the shaped dough in the mixture before baking really gives it that pretzel like exterior.

Enjoy and have fun making these; form them into whatever shape you want.

ALSO, this recipe uses the dough cycle of a bread machine. If you do not have one or would prefer to make it the "old fashion" way feel free. I have provided a brief overview of how to adapt this for a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.



Homemade Soft Pretzels


DOUGH:

1 1/2 Cups warm water
1 Package active dry yeast
2 TBSP Brown sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 Cup bread flour
3 Cups all purpose flour
1 TBSP dry milk powder

BAKING SODA MIXTURE

2 Cups warm water
2 TBSP Baking soda

TOPPING:
Melted butter
Kosher salt to taste (coarse)


Bread Machine:

1.Add ingredients in order as instructed in manufacturer’s directions. Select dough setting. 

2.When cycle is done, remove from machine and gently punch down onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into equally sized pieces. Roll each piece to form a long rope and shape as you would like (pretzel, twists, bites, etc)

3.In a large bowl, combine the water and baking soda; stir well. Gently dip pretzels into mixture and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° until golden brown (about 10 minutes) 

3. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse salt. Serve warm with your favorite mustard dipping sauce. 


If using a stand mixer: Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, salt, half of the flours, and dry milk. Stir until smooth. With a dough hook, work in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft, smooth dough ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. After rising, continue to make the pretzels as instructed above.












No comments:

Post a Comment