Friday, January 4, 2013

Ham Barley Soup

We don't get it often, but once in a while someone in my house will get a craving for some honey baked ham. I myself do not eat red meat or pork so I can't say I share that feeling, but I am happy to help make it. Of course, unless it is Easter or we have company for another reason, there is usually quite a bit left over. This time, soup seemed to be an appropriate use for it considering it has been under 30 degrees the past few evenings. The soup I made this time is similar in some ways to a soup I make for myself with chicken, vegetables, and barley.

Due to their versatility I really don't like to write recipes for soups or stews. In fact, the only reason this has one is for the purpose of this blog. If you were to look at my personal recipes for soup, there is not much measuring included in them. I mention ingredients, herbs, and spices I use as well as a few side notes or suggestions, but I rarely use a soup recipe verbatim  Having said that, for the purpose of this blog I have done so but of course, a bit more of one thing or less of another is just fine. Standing in my kitchen measuring out vegetables is not something I typically do when making soup unless I am writing a recipe. So in other words, feel free to mix things up based on your preferences.

I put together this recipe for the slow cooker but if you would prefer the stove top method it would work fine as well.



Ham Barley Soup

Serves 8-10


2 Cups diced onion
2 Cups sliced baby carrots (doesn't have to be baby carrots, its just what I used)
1 1/2 Cups chopped celery
3 Cups cubed, fully cooked ham
2-3 Bay leaves
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 meaty ham bone or ham hock (optional, just for extra flavor)
10 Cups low sodium chicken broth
3/4 Cup uncooked medium pearl barley
1/2 Cup frozen peas

In a large slow cooker, combine the first 7 ingredients. Add ham bone or hock if using, and pour in broth. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours. Add the barley and peas, cover and cook another 3-4 hours or until barley and vegetables are tender. You could also cook on high for 2-3 hours before adding the barley and peas. Then continue to cook on high for 1-2 hours until all is tender.

Before serving, remove the bay leaves and ham bone or hock (if you used it).







No comments:

Post a Comment