Monday, December 31, 2012

Vegetable Primavera

While this is a fairly unseasonable post, you can still make this dish regardless of whether or not the vegetables came from your garden. When it is warm out, I obviously head to my garden for many of the ingredients in this dish but you can find them at your local grocery store year round. In many cases you can find organic varieties as well. You should also be able to get fresh basil at the market year round. Some places actually sell small basil plants that you can keep in your kitchen for up to 10 days (or until you harvest all of it). I frequently have them in my kitchen during the colder months when our garden is not filled with basil. If for some reason you are unable to find quality zucchini or other veggie for this dish, feel free to substitute just about any vegetable that looks good. It is very versatile.

I love the addition of white wine in this; adds great flavor and adds an elegant touch. I typically use a chardonnay but most dry white wines will work. The kind of pasta you use is really up to you but I typically use whole wheat for myself.

On occasion, I will roast the vegetables and add chicken. Just as tasty!

Once again, I am posting a recipe of mine that was published in a magazine. It actually doesn't credit the name in the description, but in the magazine it did and I believe I still have it somewhere. I will post a link to the recipe but since it is a member exclusive, I am posting it on here too.

Garden Vegetable Primavera 

PS. This dish is great year round but I definitely recommend it when the garden is at its peak in the warm months!


Photo by Taste of Home


Garden Vegetable Primavera 
Serves about 4

8 oz Uncooked fettuccine, linguine, or spaghetti 
2 Medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
1 Medium carrot, sliced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp Salt (or to taste)
1 TBSP Olive oil
1 Cup grape tomatoes
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 Cup dry white wine
1/2 Cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano  
1/4 Cup minced fresh basil

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile in a large skillet, saute the zucchini, carrot, Italian seasoning, and salt in 1 TBSP olive oil until vegetables are crisp tender. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook for another minute longer. Add the broth and wine; stir to loosen brown bits from pan. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat, and cook until liquid is reduced by half.

Drain the pasta. Add the pasta, cheese, and basil to the skillet; toss to coat and serve!








No comments:

Post a Comment