Friday, March 1, 2013

Homemade Honey-Nut Granola

I first started making granola because it is a much better option for me with my peanut and nut allergy. There are some granola brands out there without nuts or the risk of cross contamination during packaging, but I found that I enjoy making it myself. Depending on what store bought granola you are looking at, sometimes it is healthier to make on your own too. Some of them are great, others not so much.

Though I make granola for myself, this recipe here is actually not one of them. As I am assuming you may have noticed from the title, it indeed contains nuts. Of course, you can leave them out with no problem if there is an allergy or flavor preference. I would probably categorize this mixture as a more traditional style granola. It blends together spices, honey, and vanilla to add just enough flavor. At some point I will put together other granola recipes with perhaps more distinct flavor and ingredient combinations. I have many on my mind so stay tuned for that one. In the meantime, this is a great go-to granola recipe. Enjoy it by itself or sprinkle over fruit and yogurt.

Before you read the instructions and think I have made a careless type-o, the oven temperature really is 275 and yes, it takes a little under an hour to bake. Why? Turn up the heat too much and half of the oats will burn while the others are barely done. Making it a slower process allows for even browning. The granola crisps up just right without burning. Be sure to stir it occasionally and place it in an even layer on your baking sheet.




4 Cups old fashion oats
1/2 Cup wheat bran
1/2 Cup sliced almonds
2 tsp Ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup water or juice
1/2 cup honey
2 TBSP Canola oil
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 -2 Cups mixed dried fruit pieces

In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat bran, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together water (or juice), honey, and canola oil until blended. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

Pour the liquid over the oat mixture and stir until well combined. Spread in an even layer onto two nonstick sheet pans. Bake in a 275 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 15 minutes or so and rotating pans if needed (swapping racks). Let cool and add the dried fruit. The granola will continue to crisp as it cools down. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment