Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I Remember These!

Being in my 20's, I can't say that a majority of my childhood foods would be considered nostalgic yet; many of them are still around today, but they bring back memories. Sometimes I will see things while perusing the grocery store or internet and will think "HEY! I remember getting those!". Its actually a lot of fun to look back on toys, food, and other trends that were popular in the mid 90's and early millennium. No, its really not that long ago, but its a "grocery flashback" to my childhood. Maybe in 15 years or so I can say something like "back in the day" but when I do that now I just get cold stares from my elders.

Its interesting to see how products can change over a decade or two and with them so have my food preferences; much of this stuff I can't say I would find appetizing now but at some point they got my brother and I excited.

Some of these are still being sold and available in grocery stores while a few are only a thing of the past.



String Thing

Luckily, I was able to find a picture here because my description would probably confuse you without it. String Thing's were a "fruit roll up" and "Pull and Peel" type snack. The chewy fruit snack was placed on a flat piece of cardboard in a variety of patterns and designs. 



Danimal's Drinkable Yogurt

I happen to love yogurt but before I was dipping my spoon into Yoplait Light or Dannon Light and Fit, there was a time when Danimal's were quite the novelty. It is part of what started the yogurt smoothie craze that you can find much of in the dairy section of your supermarket. Take a few steps over to the kids yogurt area and these should still be there. Probably along side the Go-Gurt that we often froze to eat as a popsicle (or I guess a "yosicle"?).


CapriSun

CapriSun was (and still is) borderline annoying thanks to the packaging but these juice drinks somehow made it big. I guess you could say it was a new take on the juice box. I remember them being a popular refreshment on the beach or after playing outside during the summertime. Most of us got used to getting the straw in successfully but I am really not sure why they were initially made that way. It seemed to be all too tempting for some individuals not to give the package a squeeze and send juice erupting out the top. Manufacturers clearly did not want to stop with the "juice pouch" as you can now find apple sauce and other snacks in pouches too. Maybe as a kid that would have intrigued me but for now I will take my apple sauce with a spoon, thanks.




Bagel Bites

With a little help from YouTube I could probably recite the chorus to the jingle that appeared in the commercial for Bagel Bites. Despite the "pizza anytime" motto they had going there for a while we never had these for breakfast, but they sure did make for a fun lunch as a kid. That is, as long as you let them cool long enough to not burn the hell out of your mouth.



Push Up Pops

Whether at school or in your freezer, these were a real treat to get your hands on. I believe they may have came out with other flavors at some point, but the orange sherbet is what I remember. Oh what a bummer it was when you got to the end. You can still find similar treats in the grocery store but they will never replace the classic. 



Flintstones Vitamins

While we are on the subject of Flintstones themed products, I will turn next to the ever popular Flintstones Vitamins. No, being a dietary supplement this is obviously not considered a "food" item, but it brings back memories none the less. They were before the whole gummy vitamin trend that is now popular with kids and adults alike.   



Candy Necklace

Over the years, the candy necklace has evolved into bras and underwear, but its the necklaces that I remember getting excited about. The flavor of the candy itself was actually not so great (if you ask me) but the novelty of it being on that stretchy string and worn as a necklace was enough to make them popular for a while. Looking back though, when it came to eating them they were a bit messy, complicated, and left a sticky ring around your neck. Bet the parents were thrilled...



DunkAroos

I liked these for a short time until I ate them shortly before coming down with the flu. After that I lost much interest in them. That was probably a good thing as they were not what you would consider healthy, but for a dessert they were fun. Though the frosting was what got most people hooked, I liked the grahams just as much. I can't remember the last time I had one, but I do remember that crazy kangaroo on the box.


This is obviously only some of them. Look for a "part two" post sometime in the future. 
































No comments:

Post a Comment