Monday, November 19, 2012

Turkey Chili


It’s about time for me to bring out some of my recipes that will warm you up a bit as it gets colder; chili will certainly do that.  There are probably countless recipes out there for chili. Some are packed with hot jalapenos while others may have a can of beer poured in.  After browsing through quite a bit of them, I now have a few of my own that incorporates what I think makes it just right. Here is my recipe for turkey chili. It’s full of flavor, but not too spicy; our house is not really into food that is painful to eat so it just has a hint of background heat.  Of course, if you are a bit more adventurous, toss in some jalapenos or your favorite hot sauce. Just don't overdo it. One of the problems I find with foods being super spicy (aside from the discomfort) is that  it can overwhelm the other flavors.

I use turkey in this case because not only is it healthier, but I myself do not consume red meat or pork. Its just a personal preference. My family does, however, and I have no problem with cooking or handling it so its not much of an issue. I have various recipes in which include those ingredients that I make for others and will probably post on here from time to time. If other people rave about it and I know the flavors/cooking method/etc I am using, its all good.

Anyway back to the chili. What’s nice about soups and chili's is that they are not only versatile as far as what goes into it, but how you make it. After the turkey is cooked, you can continue the cooking process on the stove top, slow cooker, or low in the oven. Either way you choose, be sure to let it cook for long enough to really let the flavors blend. Obviously that won’t be an issue in a slow cooker or low oven, but if you go the stove top route let it hang out there for a little while.





1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
1 ½ Cups minced onion
½ Cup diced green pepper
½ Cup diced yellow pepper
1/4 Cup diced celery (if desired, about one "rib" or more if you'd like)
1 TBSP Canola oil
2 tsp cumin
1 ½ TBSP chili powder
½ tsp chipotle chili powder-adds great flavor and a mild smoky heat
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 TBSP cocoa -its not just for baking!
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 Can tomato paste
2 Cans no salt added tomatoes
2-3 Cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed -depends how you like it
2 Cups low sodium chicken broth

In a large pot, cook the turkey, onions, peppers, and celery if using in canola oil until the turkey is no longer pink and veggies are just beginning to cook. Drain if necessary. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, pepper, salt to taste (I use only about ¼ tsp but you can add more), cocoa, and brown sugar. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, kidney beans, and broth. Stir until all is incorporated.
Option 1: Simmer on the stove for a good hour or so to let flavors come together and the veggies are cooked tender.
Option 2: Transfer to a slow cooker and keep on high or low until ready to serve (give it a few hours)
Option 3: Prepare the chili in an oven proof pot, transfer to a 300° oven and let simmer for a good hour or so. Reduce heat and keep warm until serving.

Serve with crushed tortilla chips, light sour cream, or a cheese of your choice to top it off with.
This makes quite a bit but freezes well J

No comments:

Post a Comment