Thursday, November 15, 2012

Balsamic BBQ Sauce

Despite the fact that warmer weather has left us here in Maryland, that doesn't mean grilled food and BBQ flavor is out of the question. In most cases, I don't have "rules" for what time of year you can eat something. Yes, a hot bowl of  soup is more popular at my house during the colder months, but I have it year round too. Why not? Same goes for BBQ and grilling. Plus, what do ya think they have grill pans for? Indoors! Although we have a nice gas grill in the backyard, if I myself am doing the grilling, I use my grill pan. Its good quality and works great. I typically leave the outdoor grill to my dad because when it comes to food and cooking, he does not have much to his name in this house. So the grill is his.

When it comes to BBQ sauce, there are countless recipes for it. I have a few of my own favorites and this is one of them. Make it at least an hour or so before you are going to use it to really let it cook and come together. The balsamic flavor really does stand out and makes it deliciously unique. Really tasty on chicken!





Balsamic BBQ Sauce:
1 Small onion, minced
1 TBSP Canola oil
2 Cups ketchup
3/4 Cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 Cup brown sugar
3 TBSP tomato paste
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Chipotle tabasco sauce (Not a hot sauce gal, but this stuff is great-you can substitute other forms of chipotle if you wish but don't overdo it)

1. In a medium saucepan, saute the onions in canola oil until translucent.
2. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a gentle boil.
3. Reduce heat and let simmer for about a hour; stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
4. Like I said, this is great on grilled chicken but don't stop there-try it on other things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment