Friday, June 7, 2013

For The Pantry - Balsamic Glaze

The concept of making a balsamic glaze is rather easy; it's a reduction of balsamic vinegar, and if desired, a touch of sugar or other sweetener. The process is not complicated but it does take a considerable amount of time for something so simple. That's why I usually have a bottle of good quality balsamic glaze.

In this case, good quality does not mean overly expensive. The quality is in the ingredients used. If there is a load of corn syrup or a long list of unpronounceable ingredients, pass on it. Which kind do I typically use?  Well, last year a Wegmans was built by my house and well, I am probably there too much. Their produce department in particular is wonderful and I love looking at their specialty products. While browsing one day I found a bottle of their balsamic glaze. Its delicious, and you don't have to babysit a saucepan of balsamic vinegar while it reduces. Obviously this would be ideal for a Caprese salad, but I have also used it with chicken and grilled flat bread sandwiches.

I am sure there are quite a few brands out there, but regardless of the brand, I highly recommend the product itself. I do prefer to make things from scratch, but if I don't feel like taking the time to simmer it down and I'm not making a berry balsamic reduction, for example, I usually go for this.



No comments:

Post a Comment